The South African National Advanced Certificate in School Leadership and Management is the product of an initiative spearheaded by the South African Department of Education in response to a concern: despite many educators being involved in or graduates of various school management and leadership programmes, there was little evidence of improved practice.
The national initiative sought to bring together a representative range of stakeholders from government to unions and from public institutions to NGOs to design and develop a programme that would bring about positive change.
Read the overview of the curriculum, as well as the development and evaluation process here.
Advanced Certificate: Education Modules
- Develop a portfolio to demonstrate school leadership and management competence
- Understand school leadership and governance in the South African context
- Language in leadership and management
- Lead and manage organisational system, physical and financial resources
- Lead and manage people
- Manage law, policy, planning, school development and governance
- Managing teaching and learning
- Mentor school managers and manage mentoring programmes in schools
- Lead and manage a subject, learning area or phase
- Moderate Assessment
- Plan and conduct assessment